Buying & Selling Privacy: Big Data’s Different Burdens & Benefits, 66 STANFORD LAW REVIEW ONLINE 47 (2013)
Big Data: Catalyst for Privacy Change, 48 INDIANA LAW REVIEW 213 (2014)
Press Start to Track? Video Game Player Privacy, 42:4 AIPLA QUARTERLY JOURNAL 527 (2014)
Beyond the Common Rule: Ethical Structures for Data Research in Non-Academic Settings, 13.2 COLO. TECH. L.J. 101 (2015).
Trust & Privacy in the Sharing Economy (forthcoming 2015, to be presented at the International Symposium of Digital Ethics).
November 2015 | “The Future of Privacy” Plenary & “Connected Cars and Privacy” Breakout / Privacy & Access 20/20 (Vancouver, BC)
November 2015 | “Treading Privacy in a Sea of Data” Keynote / Big Boulder Initiative (Chicago, IL)
November 2015 | “Trust & Privacy in the Sharing Economy” Presentation / International Symposium of Digital Ethics (Chicago, IL)
November 2015 | “Communicating Privacy and Data Practices” Panel / Location & Contect World 2015 (Palo Alto, CA)
October 2015 | “Privacy Fiction Book Club” Panel / Privacy + Security Forum (Washington, DC)
October 2015 | “Practical Privacy in Sixty Minutes” Panel / Computers, Freedom, and Privacy 2015 (Washington, DC)
October 2015 | “Big Data Out-of-Context: Building a Privacy Review Board” Panel / Privacy Security Risk (IAPP) 2015 (Las Vegas, NV)
October 2015 | “Candidates Getting F’s in Privacy: Donating Your Money—and PII—to the Campaign” Panel / Privacy Security Risk (IAPP) 2015 (Las Vegas, NV)
July 2015 | “Ethical and Privacy Issues in Autonomous Vehicles” Panel / AUVSI Autonomous Vehicle Summit (Detroit, MI)
June 2015 | “Privacy Principles for Connected Car Technologies” Panel / TRUSTe IoT Summit (Palo Alto, CA)
August 2014 | “Presentation on the Right to Be Forgotten” / Congressional Internet Caucus Advisory Committee (CSPAN) (Washington, DC)
April 2014 | “Privacy in the Age of Big Data” Presentation / Indiana Law Review Symposium on Privacy (Indianapolis, IN)
Future of Privacy Forum (Washington, DC)
Policy Counsel | February 2014 – November 2015
Legal & Policy Fellow | January 2013 – January 2014
- Provided strategic advice to the Executive Director and counsel to corporate stakeholders on advertising and location-based technologies and privacy challenges posed by connected cars, always-on smart devices, and big data.
- Wrote and presented on emerging privacy and ethical data use issues, legislative proposals, and agency reports on the emerging online sharing economy, drones, and the broader “Internet of Things.”
- Prepared formal comments on behalf of the organization to the FTC, NTIA, and White House OSTP.
- Authored whitepapers on the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor, data sharing in the sharing economy, student opt-outs, automobile data collection, and big data governance mechanisms.
- Organized major conferences on privacy and ethical compliance with leading industry players, policymakers, and researchers, as well as lead a variety of internal working groups and a “Business-Consumer Dialogue” bringing together industry and consumer advocates to discuss new technologies and business practices.”
American Constitution Society (Washington, DC)
National Law Fellow | January 2012 – January 2013
- Engaged lawyers and policymakers through the creation of national event programming, including a discussion marking the tenth anniversary of the Department of Homeland Security and “ACS Law Talk,” an audio podcast series.
- Analyzed and wrote on a wide-range of legal and policy issues, including domestic drone use, SOPA/PIPA, and the importance of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Edited position papers and issue briefs, such as “Homeland Security and the Post-9/11 Era” and “The FEC: The Failure to Enforce Commission.”
United Nations, International Law Commission (Geneva, Switzerland)
Legal Assistant to Professor Shinya Murase | May 2010 – August 2010
United States Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of New York (Brooklyn, NY)
Clinical Intern, Civil Division | January 2010 – May 2010
New York University School of Law (New York, NY)
J.D., May 2011
Honors & Activities:
- International Law and Human Rights Student Fellow (2010)
- NYU Journal of Law and Liberty, Managing Editor (2010-2011)
- The Commentator: The Student Newspaper of NYU Law, Managing Editor (2009-2011)
- High School Law Institute, Constitutional Law Instructor
Boston University (Boston, MA)
B.A. in the Cultural Background of European Politics, summa cum laude, May 2006
- Senior Thesis:
Ancient Rome and the Barbarians: A Superpower’s Pacification Dilemma
Honors & Activities:
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Polytropos Award (2005)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of the Core Curriculum (2005)
- Editorial Assistant, News from the Republic of Letters (2003-2006)
- Admitted to Massachusetts Bar, 2011.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional / U.S. (CIPP/US), 2015
- Works as a freelance graphic designer and photographer.